Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pink flamingos are for sissys, REAL men have peacocks!



One of the first things I noticed when I arrived here, was that Roong had nothing on the walls in our house. I mean nothing. Not even the mandatory dozen pictures of this or that king and queen that seems to be required to show you are a loyal Thai citizen. I vowed to change that.

It took me a while to get Roong used to the idea of hanging things on the wall, but she seems ok with it now. She even voices opinions concerning color and location. The biggest problem is finding the art. We needed to find a large over-the-sofa painting. After quite a bit of looking, and coming to the realization that large art just not exist here, I figured that I was going to have to paint it myself. Some time ago, in an effort to get me back into trying to produce something decent, Roong bought me a kick ass easel, but I haven't had the time or the drive to use it much.

To figure out what to paint, I started playing with Corel Painter X. It's fun to use, and it's a great way for me to make smaller versions of things we think might eventually look good on the wall. Also, it seems that these smaller artworks lend themselves well to becoming posters. So, i opened up a small art store on Zazzle to sell those. The shop should be ready sometime in June, because April and May are going to be hell here.

Anyway, the whole point of this story, is to explain why there is a 5 ft tall ceramic peacock staring at you. It's a waterfall that sits in the corner of our living room. Roong seems bent on building a sort of garden around it, with flowers, ivy, and such hanging off of it, and maybe a few fish in the basin. We were eating lunch at one of our favorite munchie spots in Soi sip song (12th street), and noticed a new little shop selling ceramics across the street. We went and looked, and saw a few interesting things, then left. We stopped there again that evening and looked some more. Then, the next day, we stopped yet again, and ended up coming home with that monstrosity.

I am not sure which I find more amazing, the fact that we bought it, or the fact that we went there three times, thought about it, and STILL bought it. Plus, a little ceramic boat, and two turtles. Well, I have to give it credit, it really is a conversation starter. Aren't peacocks blue?